Something Like That

I remember before giving birth to Anna sitting in her perfectly coordinated and clean room envisioning life with our baby as one of calm and peace. I knew there would be difficulties but I assumed my Babywise approach to parenting would mean she would be sleeping without issues by 7-9 weeks and wake up a perfectly happy, peaceful child from then on.  I would have a clean, sunny home with music in the background and everyone would want to know how I did it  :)

I remember before having toddlers thinking that meltdowns, bad attitudes and lack of first time obedience could *typically* be avoided by proactive parenting - clear boundaries, consistent discipline and encouragement, proper sleeping and eating habits and lots and lots of love between and from mom and dad.

The fact that these things are not necessarily true can drive me BONKERS. 

To make matters worse, I can't seem to keep my house how I want it anymore (meaning orderly most all of the time).  With two kids, even if I could not control them, I could at least control the status of my home.  If you saw my kitchen right now (there you go, view left) you would most likely be tempted to think of me as a slob who needs to get my rear in gear. 

But hopefully most of you moms can feel me when I say sometimes it's all I can do to get through the day getting basic needs met.  By the time we are all dressed and fed there is another round of diapers.  When I'm done changing diapers and we get on to our next task there is an attitude that needs addressed.  Aaron has now crawled across the room and is eating paper.  I save Aaron and get him set up in a more safe environment for play.  I call the girls back to whatever important or non-important task and they don't want to come.  Discipline.  And the day continues in crazy moments like these. 

Multiple times this month I have asked Daryl if he thinks I'm doing something really wrong because it seems I've been dealing with so many heart issues (even if that means my own) I sometimes can barely get dinner on the table let alone all the laundry done.  He's been so kind to remind me that I just have to keep doing the right thing.  I can't control our kids or regenerate their hearts, but I can continue to obey God, love them, discipline and encourage them, and do it again, and again, and again.

I can do the right  thing even if I can't SEE the fruit of it.  I can trust God that even though I'm not doing this mom-hood thing perfectly and I am so afraid I will screw my kids up forever and they will write nasty stuff about me on the internet as adults, that HE is the author of their lives and days and His work isn't lost on my mistakes.  I can hope and have joy in Jesus and His promises because He does live in me and has provided faith and hope.  

I really believe our sweet third child who has added to our chaos has served to continue to break me of my trying to feel good about myself based on something I can DO rather than based on who Jesus IS.  I wish I could say I have arrived at just living to please the Lord and not get side tracked by what other people think of me or my kids or having a clean house or worldly pursuits or whatnot, but I am still struggling here.  Like my eye will probably be twitching by the end of the night if my kitchen still looks the way that it does but I should be okay with this as long as I have loved God and loved others, right?


So here I am.  A beautiful mess :)  So thankful for my awesome husband, my parents and good, Biblical community and most of all for God as they continue to remind me and push me towards what is true, over and over again and as they LOVE me.  Thank you for loving me, when I'm helpful, when I'm cranky, when I'm encouraging, when I'm over-dramatic; all the time.  And I'm thankful for motherhood - for making me desperate and dependent on the grace of the Lord, which is where we are all, I just sometimes didn't feel it.  And I'm of course thankful for my sweet children - may the Lord continue to break me so you see the beauty of Himself, even in me.  xoxo



Comments

  1. Amen and amen. Mothering is hard, if not because of the constant chaos, then absolutely because of constant sanctification. These days are joyful, but often times overwhelming because we see how little our days are our own. Carry on preaching the gospel to yourself and to your babies. You're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing an amazing job as a mom & woman of God! I so enjoy your posts and photos of your beautiful children. It takes me back some 20 years now (where has the time gone so quickly) to when I felt the same exact way. I once had an older woman in the church who always said "These are the best years of your life". I told her she was crazy! Although they were definitely difficult at times I can honestly say that it is always crazy, always busy. Time just makes things "different". We go from one stage to the next and one age to the next. Children grow and are easier to care for. And then activites clutter your schedule and you feel that all you do is drive from here to there and back again a time or two or three or four! But God is Good All the Time! He will see you through. And before you know it you will look at your beautiful, Godly almost grown children and wonder how they ended up so great (in spite of you)! The Lord is so proud of the wonderful way you are caring for His babies! God bless you sweetheart. Love & prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is, "i hear ya!" Love u girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh lauren...you are doing a great job. God knew exactly what they needed when he gave them you and exactly what you needed when he gave them to you! keep moving forward and making memories as you go. a good mentor friend of mine once said..enjoy and emmerse yourself in 'this life' right now. there will be plenty of time for enjoying hobbies, writing, reading and keeping your house beautiful when they are long gone. and chances are you will be crying and wishing for these days back. i went walking with your mom a while back and she was talking about 'those days' with you all. and she said these exact words: i would do anything to have just one of those days back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just like knowing we are all in the same boat! I am always thankful for your ministry and eXample!
    Love<
    SHANNON

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts