Homeschool!

Twas the night before homeschool and all through the house...


 ...We were so excited we could hardly stand it!  

Came down dressed and ready to go (minus a little hairbrushing!)
 Today was our first "official" day of homeschool!  I am so, so, so, so, so excited about this new season of our life.  I know there will be days when the kids will be terrible, days when I'll be terrible, and days when we'll all be terrible together, but we'll be together!  I love it!

Typical first day pic - I don't know why we did it outside since we weren't going anywhere! Oh well!


For those of you who aren't homeschooling, please don't read this as a post on how I think you should be homeschooling, too.  Please also try to be generous if you think we are out of our minds.  It's very well possible :) 

The decision making process wasn't a tough one for Daryl and I.  Thankfully, as have been most all of the large decisions in our home, the Lord has been kind enough to bring us to the same beliefs even though typically through different means and in different amounts of time! 

I was raised riding in our car listening to Focus on the Family (thanks, Mom) and hearing tales of homeschooling - the good and the bad.  It's always been an option to me since then - and one I think I secretly always wanted to pursue - even though I attended and most of the time really enjoyed public schools and my own husband and mother are great public educators! 
  

Our school room
Daryl wasn't as exposed to homeschooling and I
remember when the subject first came up during our engagement he said something like, "I'd be concerned my kids would be socially awkward."  I challenged him to come to Dv8 with me that week (the middle school youth ministry I worked with at the time) and pick out the 5 or so kids that were currently homeschooled.  Couldn't do it.  There maybe was a homeschool kid or two that was more quiet or strange than your average middle school student, but there were quite a few quiet and strange ones from public and private schools, too ;)  ;)  Most of the kids we know who have been homeschooled are absolutely delightful to be around.

Our kids may or may not turn out socially awkward, but we don't believe that to be the result of homeschooling as much of the result of their training, personality and/or sin (let's face it, most shyness is being more concerned about ourselves than others or disbelieving God's care and creation of us).  Let us know if you think we are lagging behind somewhere in getting them around others!


We also know that homeschooling our children doesn't guarantee they will love Jesus more or be smarter or be better people.  Regardless of the outcome, Daryl and I feel like for now, this is what is best for our family.  For a slew of reasons.  Here's the main sum of our prayer in homeschooling during their younger years: to seize every opportunity God has provided with our children to foster delight in Jesus Christ and provide the tools needed to most enjoy Him and spread a passion for His glory with excellence (whether that be through homemaking, engineering, or anything else).  It's our prayer that we will be faithful to train them and educate them well and our confidence that God will be faithful even when we are not and that His plans will come to fruition.   

The girl school supply cubby :)

The one reason we are homeschooling that has surprisingly caused joy to explode in my heart this past month is that I actually get to BE WITH my kids.  I was worried that as many of my friends were dropping off their sweet kids at various pre-schools or whatnot I might envy the few hours of quiet they might have (or at least I pretend they have!), or the one on one time they might get with another child, or even really doubt what we are doing because my kids or I might miss out on something.  I know I will probably have those moments but for now, God has amazed me with delight in having them here, knowing they could be somewhere else.  I have such a short, short, little time with these absolutely wonderful creatures.  I am so humbled and thankful for the joy He has given me and for this season of getting to know and enjoy them.

Nadia Hope
Anna Grace
 I'm going to want days off.  I know it.  So will they.  But I am beyond thankful to the Lord that He is graciously working in me to fulfill His commands to enjoy my family and to be busy at home in such a simple way right now.  I can't wait for what we will all learn! 

Pray for us!  We'll need it! 

Comments

  1. We wish you lots of luck Lauren! I am sure you will all enjoy this time together. You have such a great attitude about homeschooling! Your open-mindednesss and listening ears toward God will always steer you in the right direction! Good luck and God Bless:)

    Brook Bealko

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay..i am a bit jealous that you have a school room! instead of just your dining room..haha..but so tickled to have you homeschooling! it is so fun and you'll grow in more ways than you ever imagined. can't wait to catch up...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thankful for you, Honey! Wonderful post. You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DV8 certainly helped me have a positive view of homeschooling as well. So glad for you that you are following hard after what God wants you to do. Though I believe every parent has the responsibility to teach their children when they are with them, I cannot claim the official homeschool mom title. For now I claim the title of being an afterschooler. Blessings on your journey!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Lauren! So happy for you and your girls to venture into the joys of homeschooling. I related to everything you had to say and am excited for you to experience the rewards of homeschooling too. You've got it right...it's the moments with your children that are priceless. We all have our days and it isn't always easy, but it's an immense blessing. God bless you in your first year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts