Spending Ourselves


I can't help it. I love Beth Moore. I think I almost cry every time I just see her - even on video. I honestly think it's because she reminds me so much of Jesus :)

Anyways, some friends of mine are going through her Bible study on the fruit of the Spirit with me and this week the Holy Spirit has been using her to teach us about kindness and goodness. For years I have LOVED this passage, and so when she taught on it today, I was just over-joyed to be reminded of it's truths and taught new things in regards to it!

Isaiah 58:6-11 (New International Version)

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness a]">[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

I love it because it is SO TRUE! How do we get out of our own despair, boredom and ails? By serving others...by continuing to spend ourselves. This is so much the antithesis of what the world teaches, and yet it is so true.

How many times have you delivered a meal to a sick family, invited a lonely girl out, cared for someone's children when they needed childcare, or left serving at a homeless shelter and just "felt" good? I would guess almost every time - even though you had to spend yourself, even though you may not have been looking forward to it or may have even backed out.

However, there are also times where there seems to be not benefit; no reward; no fruit. We extend love to someone who treats us with contempt, we serve for years and get no thanks, etc, etc. In these cases, this verse comes to mind...

1 Peter 4:19 (New International Version)

19So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

He has promised to reward, to provide harvest, in due time (Galatians 6:9) when we keep sowing, keep doing, keep spending. Do we trust Him? Oh, how I pray for more grace in this area!

I confess that since I got pregnant with baby #2, I have been more self-absorbed than I would like. I know there are seasons when we must cut back, but now that I'm in the second trimester and not so sick and tired :) especially, I am convicted to be more aware of the needs of others and begin spending myself - not just for my family, but also for those around me. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to serve, especially with little ones - even ideas of things to do with them to help teach them the value and benefit of serving, I'd love to hear them.

I pray a big harvest to you as you continue to trust and do good.

Comments

  1. What a good verse and devotional to read this morning...I was feeling a little weary and that has encouraged me! Thanks for your beautiful insight and sharing it with us!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts