Confessions of a White Girl

I'm in a wedding this weekend and the bride has picked out bridesmaid dresses that are largely white. I know you are freaking out at this point, but don't worry, they do have a blue pattern on them and as of Monday, a blue ribbon. So while at her bridal shower in Chicago (the first trip I was a plane flight away from my family on) my dear friend, the bride, suggested we be tan.

Now I know what you are all thinking - just because someone suggests something doesn't mean we have to do it. Correct. However, let me give you a brief run down of the wedding party...

Lauren: The bride. Has been dieting and doing P90x along with tanning for quite sometime.
Sarah: The maid of honor. Is getting married in June. Has been dieting, running and tanning for the past 6 months.
Alexis: Bridesmaid. 5'7"ish, 100lbs and lives in Florida. Enough said.
Me: Bridesmaid. Feels really good about myself when I achieve my goal of exercising 4 times a week (and this just moderate). Needs to lose 10 more pounds and is naturally pasty white and refuses to make time to tan in part because I would be largely unsuccessful in the venture anyways.

Maid of Honor came to my rescue by recommending a spray tan. Husband buys me a pedicure for Mother's Day and while at Body In Balance I meet the girl who does the spray tans. Can anyone guess where this is going?

Yep, today, I got a spray tan. It's true. I stood in a shower stall almost naky and let some woman I don't even know (which is actually probably less embarrassing) spray me with some chemical while I stood in positions like they make you do while being scanned at airport security so I will hopefully look a little tan for above mentioned wedding.

It wasn't helpful to look at these pictures before I went: Spray Tans Gone Bad.

Oh well. Now I am home and it's been four hours. So far, so good. I don't think it will ever be very dark, but I am happy that so far I don't have any drips or streaks or anything like that. Even Daryl said so far I don't look orange :) We will see. Hopefully I won't be matching the mustard colored shoes we are wearing....

So I sit and I wait, and I share with the world in order to make myself at least feel honest about my sort of tan that is fake :) Before you judge too harshly, please consider that it will make me - the one who was in the bathroom in the bridal party's hotel room the morning before the bridal shower in Chicago pumping breastmilk out for my baby back home while the others were doing P90x - feel a little bit better about standing up there with gorgeous girls :) I already told Daryl to please remember that on our wedding day I too was tan...and mostly skinny :) Thankfully he loves me anyways :)

Comments

  1. tan is over-rated..and deadly. this coming from a pasty white retired oncology nurse.
    you are beautiful just the way you are! and nothing looks more beautiful than a woman who loves the lord, her children and her husband the way you do!
    but have fun...and post some pictures;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty and transparency (no pun intended!). You are beautiful,too, it just doesn't require so much work for you!
    Have fun!
    Love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanning is just planning wrinkles for your future. Not to mention skin cancer. I think the spray on kind does just fine. You will be beautiful standing up there with the other women, because YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Even more beautiful on the inside, which is what matters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts