Distracted

These past few weeks I have been really easily irritated and responded to my family with more harshness and frustration than usual. I haven't been patient and kind, but rather sensitive and selfish.

I've been worried about silly things and even some serious things, but I shouldn't be worried - even if it seems legitimate. A commentary I've been using to help me navigate the Gospel of contained this encouragement:
The nations of the world may well be worried about food and clothes and the like, as they know nothing of the real nature of God; but the person who says that "God is my Father," and of Christ that "He is my Saviour" should be beyond such anxieties. A clear faith should produce a light heart. (J.C. Ryle, 175)
It was so convicting! I know who God is - He has graciously revealed Himself to me, and yet I have not been trusting Him. Isaiah 26:3 says,

"You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you."

Apparently my mind hasn't been "stayed" on God. It has been on God, then quickly onto the world...until I finally do something so dumb I come running back for mercy! Thank God, in Christ He has supplied all the mercy I will ever need! Hebrews 4:16 says, "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Here's praying I'll be more like Mary - leave a few more messes around the house, a for more e-mails unanswered for now, do a couple less projects, take a few less weekend trips with the family and pick what won't be taken away. In this house, the messes don't stay gone for very long anyways :)

Comments

  1. Thank you Lauren, I am in tears knowing I have not been trusting in his goodness and his providence for all things. I have been online just now looking up something that I have been anxious about. How can we lose our focus so quickly? Thank you for your encouragement through confession. I am focusing my heart on Him! I feel my burdens lifting already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have felt the same way lately. Thanks for that quote.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I have been learning the same thing the past few days. I also love the 'living chara' title. I'm doing a Beth Moore study on the fruit of the spirit and she talked about chara=joy and then your blog title made sense!!

    I read Matthew 6:25-34 which is very similar to your quote from the commentary! It essentially says, do not be faithless like the gentiles because we have a heavenly Father who KNOWS all that we need.

    Phil 4:19 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

    Thanks for your blog! :) It is encouraging!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts