Potty TrainED!

So last weekend we finally were able to block off a few days for potty training. We went off the books Pottywise and Potty Training In A Day... I know, roll your eyes, it's fine. I am of the breed that likes steps and procedures and always has a book to go by :) It's true, and I'm okay with it. But, my kid has had less accidents than I can count on two hands since we started and none the past two days (and the day before we were at an amusement park ALL day, so that day shouldn't even count and I should be able to say 4 days accident free which is pretty good considering she's only been using the potty for 8).

Anyways, I didn't actually "read" the Potty Training In A Day book myself; Lorrie sent me the cliff notes :) Hahaha - seriously, she sent me the stuff she had typed out for herself and I felt like she did a good enough job passing it on that along with my Pottywise reading, we were set. So, if you'd like me to e-mail you that document, let me know. With that said, Pottywise was great, but not detailed enough for me - I needed to know how often to send her to the potty, etc. I'm not so great with general terms.

I decided to use this method primarily because I have friends who have used it and it has worked quickly for them. You also skip pull ups (we do put them on Anna at night because she is still in her crib, but that hasn't hindered anything) which I was all for.

Basically though, you get ta potty, some panties and a doll that goes potty (or that you can "make" go potty through deception). Stocking up on fun drinks (so they actually have to pee) and treats for STAYING DRY is also key. You would ideally block off a few days for INTENSE training - and I mean intense, and try to lay low on activities/trips for them to get the hang of it (unless you want your kid to pee or worse in your car!). We ended up going out the second night for a short trip and it went fine, though. Then we did groceries on Day 3...no sweat :)
Blocking off the time seemed the hardest part for us because I wanted Daryl to be around to help out with Nadia so I could give Anna all my attention. However, he managed to find time to finish painting two walls, fertilize the yard and watching football, so I don't think it was too bad for him.

I on the other hand checked Anna for dry pants (the emphasis is to be DRY, not just to go on the potty. Cause you can go on the potty 5,000 times and still have 1,000 accidents which is no fun) about every 5 minutes the first few hours and made her sit on the potty about every 15. Yeah, that's right. We lived in the bathroom.

You also have to make them do practice runs to the potty when they have accidents - we did 10/accident. This was only fun the first time. Then there were tears. But what training is easy, my friends?Amazingly enough though, my girl could go potty just about EVERY time I sent her to the potty and still managed 2 accidents the first day. I was seriously concerned about the fact that she could pee so often - perhaps this was a bad idea???

But no, she now lets us know when she has to go (and tells me when she doesn't) and is going for long periods of time in between going. I am very excited about this because spending much of the day in the bathroom is NO fun. I'm glad we bit the bullet. Not changing her diapers is SUCH a relief for us both and I am amazed at how giving up that simple task has made my life easier (and in a sad way, her seem much older).

Daryl and I only spent the first 4 days always wondering if she was peeing her pants every time she had a funny face. Now that only crosses my mind occasionally :)

Anyways, she has stayed dry for trips to the library, our Church and back in Kingwood, grocery shopping, etc. But I have carried the little potty with me sometimes so that I can make her go before we go into a place if we drove far instead of using a public potty. She asked me if she could bring the big potty, but obviously that's out of the question :)

Two funny stories from our experience:

1) I sometimes will ask Anna if she is POSITIVE she doesn't have to go to the bathroom if she hasn't gone in a long time. So tonight I asked her before putting her in the bath if she was sure she didn't need to go because Nadia would be really ticked if she peed in the tub. She said, "Mom, I am going to be positive in the bath." Hahahaha

2) She was doing very well staying dry but after a long day at Idlewild and no nap we finally stopped for a while to snack and rest with our friends. Some lady interrupted our conversation and I didn't quite understand her so she said more loudly, "IS YOUR DAUGHTER GOING TO THE BATHROOM?" I don't even think I ever answered her because I realized she totally was and slightly panicked! Thankfully she was on her knees on the bench and so she didn't get pee on her princess dress, but it was really funny! Good thing I packed extra panties and good thing I had clorox wipes to clean up the bench for the next squatter :)

I am sure we will have the occasional accident and I do always make her go after meals and I still ask her if she needs to go about every hour, but I think we are well on our way to success!

Way to go, Anna! We are so proud of you, sweet one!


Comments

  1. Ok, I'm totally jealous! It didn't work so well for us, but maybe I did it too soon. Hoping Regan's goes smoother/faster. We are STILL using pullups for naps/nighttime and trying to encourage him with rewards for staying dry then.

    Anna is one cute girl! I love those pigtails!! Way to go, Big Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! love the little girl undies.. claire might be jealous b/c she will be wearing little blue undies with footballs on them! ha..
    way to go anna and way to go LAUREN and DARYL!
    ben and i know first hand how tough that first week can be!
    lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting that! I thought laying in bed last night that I should post a DISCLAIMER!

    1) It's just a suggestion
    2) Pottywise had great SIGNS OF READINESS and advised that most children are not ready until 24-36 months.

    We started Anna before because she wanted to use the potty, but quickly realized she was not able to physically sense when she was about to potty.

    Pottywise advised stopping completely and trying again in a few months which is what we did. We weren't about to be "in training" for months and months for any of our sakes!

    So thanks for posting that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome, way to go!! my friend meg also used the potty trained in a day book and her daughter did really well too. this kind of stuff can be super intimidating as i think about motherhood. today my 38-week pregnant coworker brought in a breast feeding book which i perused.. holy cow. the girls are amazingly cute and precious though!!

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha - Bethany, there is a reason Jesus told us "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Motherhood has really driven that point home because it seems like there is ALWAYS something new to teach them so I better just focus on one at a time and leave the rest alone ;)

    And truly, it is all worth it...they are such cute and precious gifts :) Love yah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts