Joyful Recommendations: Listening While You Work

I was in the middle of cleaning, but I had to stop. While I sometimes have my qualms about all the various technologies in our lives, there is something I absolutely love about my iPhone (don't be alarmed - that is not the joyful recommendation I will be writing about) - I love that it is also an ipod or a means for me to listen to things I actually want to listen to. I used to misplace my ipod or forget it when going somewhere and later think, "Oh, I wish I had it so I can listen to such and such," but I hardly misplace my phone because it seems more of a necessity.

Having a portable device to listen to things on, especially such a small one that I can use ear phones with and so not be too loud while they are napping, has become such a huge blessing to me especially since having the kids. Being a mom is busy (if you don't have kids, it's true. We don't just sit around reading stories, talking on the phone and eating bon bons. If you don't believe me, borrow my kids for a week.). There's a definite trade-off when you have a family - you don't have time to do some of the things you used to love to do; even some of the very good things you used to love to do. Of course, I think this trade-off is worth it, but that's another blog post.

But I don't believe that growing in godliness is one of those things to trade-off. For me, IN SOME WAYS, it has gotten harder - I have to get up earlier or not get as many things done to have quiet times, and for a while I felt like reading books that I wanted to or listening to things I wanted to wasn't always possible. But a whole new world has opened up to me!

Daryl introduced me, mainly, to downloading sermons some time ago. So now, while the girls are napping or after they go to bed and I am washing dishes or attempting to sort through and spray shout on mounds of laundry, I can also be soaking in truth. SWEET!


It's true, sometimes I think I'd rather listen to something more "fun"; but then I do it, and I couldn't feel better. Seriously. I do sometimes listen to music or even audiobooks occasionally, but since I don't have as much time for studying as I used to, the sermons have been oh so helpful to me.

AND - there are so many out there! Recently I have been listening through John Piper's series on Hebrews (this one today), and that's what spurred me to take a break from house cleaning to sit down and write this because I'm thinking, "EVERYONE needs to hear this stuff! It's fantastic!" But, regardless, I'd highly encourage you to listen while you work - and not just to anything, but Bible saturated, truthful, Christ exalting stuff. It's so fun for your soul! And, it makes cleaning less overwhelming!

Comments

Popular Posts